Feb 8, 2014,

Cleveland Heights, Ohio.

We’re sat in my dining room — it’s the one with a table, two laptops, two sandwiches, and two hot cups of tea. She’s designing the dice, I’m hammering out the code.

The dice looked great. The code worked. But we couldn’t figure out how to put them together. That was version 1. I remember really struggling with JavaScript back then. The code I put together was mostly copy pasted from other places, and while I could kinda figure out what it did, I wouldn’t be able to figure out how to do it on my own. I also struggled with assigning images to dice values in the UI, so we never really finished it.

Four months later I was in Austin working with the comforts of Ruby and I totally forgot about this game for years, until a couple of days ago when I was looking at my old github repos. I’ve started a JavaScript course on Treehouse a few days ago, so I didn’t even look at the old code, I just started hammering out the new iteration from scratch.

No copy pasting. Some Googling and Stack Overflowing.



My first game. It’s a lot more than the original game was, and the code is a lot cleaner too, and I might iterate on it some more, though I have a slightly more challenging project in mind next. :)