Note this isn’t a typical post on my blog about software testing but about the process of getting a Swedish Work Permit and moving to Sweden. After searching online for blog posts on people applying for a work permit, I was only able to find people moving to Sweden for love (if you want to read about my friend’s experience, check this out) I hope what I write here will be useful to others who are about to go through or are currently going through the same experience. 

This blog post does not cover how to find a job in Sweden, so I won’t be able to help you with any job search websites.

A bit of  background

  • Moved to Sweden by myself and did not take a partner or children with me
  • New Zealand citizen
  • Software Tester

Starting the Work Permit Application process

According to Migrationsverket you need the following:

  • have a valid passport
  • have been offered terms of employment that are on par with those set by Swedish collective agreements or which are customary within the occupation or industry
  • have been offered a salary that is on par with that set by Swedish collective agreements or which is customary within the occupation or industry
  • have been offered a minimum salary of SEK 13,000 per month before taxes
  • have an employer who intends to provide insurance covering health, life, employment and pension when you begins to work.

Your job also needs to be advertised on the EURES portal for at least 10 days

Few additional notes here:

  • Linda from House of Test did most of the work and effort in this part and was extremely helpful and onto it. 
  • They didn’t need physical copies of the passport or copies that were signed by Justice of the Peace (like they do with lots of documents in New Zealand)
  • I was not allowed to be in Sweden while my work permit was being processed.

How to apply for a Work Permit

This link has all the relevant information you need on how to apply
But here are a few key points:

  1. After the employer has advertised the job in EURES portal for at least 10 days, the employer initiates the application.
  2. I receive an email asking me to do my part.
  3. I had to give information on my work history and also some passport information (if you are moving with your family they also ask for information on this)
  4. Pay SEK 2000
  5. Wait

Quick tip
According to, if your job is on the job shortage list you can apply for a work permit from Sweden instead of from abroad. I seriously recommend you check this part with Migrationsverket first as well before you do this.

How long I waited

I waited just over a month from when the application was received. But waiting times can vary.

According to the Migrationsverket website, waiting times can range from one month to over four months.

“The processing time will be shorter if all the necessary information is included from the start than if information is added afterwards.”

Getting a Residence Permit Card

Once you have heard back from Migrationsverket and your application has been successful you need to get a Residence Permit card.  “This card proves that you have permission to reside in Sweden and contains information such as fingerprints and photograph.”

You need to book an appointment in advance to do this. When I booked my appointment, the first available one was just over two weeks from that date. Make sure you bring y
our booking number and your passport with you.

They give you a specific time for your appointment but I ended up arriving about 15 minutes early and I “checked in”. Soon after my number was called. My fingerprints and photos were taken in about 5 minutes – it’s a relatively smooth, simple process. I had to wait 1 week for the card to be delivered.

Getting a tax number

You need a tax number to open a bank account. And you need a bank account to get paid.  Once you receive your Residence Permit card (it’s delivered to your home address), you can then apply for a tax number. 
Bring your passport and Residence Permit card to a Skatteverket branch. There you will need to take a number and wait in line. You will also need to fill out some forms.
While you are at Skatteverket you should also apply for a Swedish Identity CardYou need to pay the fee in advance.
Once they have taken your photo, you need to wait to get notified by mail to pick up the ID from the Skatteverket branch you had your photo taken. It takes up to 2 weeks.

Opening a bank account

Once you have a Swedish tax number you can also open a bank account.

But you need a Swedish Identity card before you can get Internet Banking.
Make sure you bring your passport, a job contract, your Residency Permit Card and your Swedish Identity card.

Disclaimer: This is written from my experience and is not necessary a reflection of what you should expect if you are also moving to Sweden. Waiting times etc may be different for you.